Have you recently purchased your first home? If so, you might be wondering what you could do to prepare your new home for the cold. Here are a few fall home maintenance tips to help you care for your new home.
Six Fall Home Maintenance Tips
- Caulk Windows – Seal openings with caulk to can prevent water from getting in. Water seeping through small openings can freeze and cause cracks and mold build up.
- Check Heating System – Ask a licensed heating system contactor to inspect your furnace, wood stove or fireplace.
- Check Your Roof – Look for missing or loose roofing shingles. Roofs are the first line of defence in protecting your home. It’s much better to fix a few loose or missing shingles then to discover a leaking roof during a blizzard.
- Seal Your Driveway – Clean and fix any damage to your asphalt driveway – then seal with a commercial sealer. Sealing your driveway will extend the life of your asphalt.
- Clean Your Gutters – Jammed gutters can cause ice dams. After all the leaves have fallen, make sure you clean out your gutters and downspouts to prevent damaging ice dams. While you are at it, tighten brackets and inspect joints for existing damage.
- Clean Yard Equipment – Prepare your yard machines for winter by draining fuel from all gas operated machines. This is also an opportune time to check the quality of your snow equipment before the first snow fall.
While this list of fall home maintenance tips is by no means exhaustive – new home owners would be wise to follow them. For homebuyers with homes in need of repairs or renovations – Inlanta Mortgage offers two loan programs that allow borrowers to refinance a home and any necessary repairs or renovations (restrictions apply). Contact me for more information!